Thursday, February 12, 2009

This or That

I have yet to see the fun part of wedding planning. Planning my wedding is not nearly as fun as I had hoped it would be. All of the choices that need to be made are numerous and difficult.

So far, the biggest battle of planning wedding day has been picking out a recption hall. We do, in fact, have a place booked (it shall be dubbed Hall 1), but my poor Mommy is not happy with it. She believes that the place is too dirty and the floors are too old. She is worried that our guests will feel uncomfortable because she is. Now, as for the bride , I love the place. There are quite a few windows and the room is arranged in such a way that everyone can see the dance floor; two very important things to me. My Mom does not think, however, that these things are important in the grand scheme of things. It is going to be October after all, and the windows really will not make much of a difference. Eh, what do I know?

Now, the place my Mom likes,which from now on shall be called Hall 2, we saw several months ago. The only thing that is stopping me from truly falling in love with the place is the memory of my fiancee's reaction when he saw. Now I know his sour and unconvinced face was caused by the advertised prices of the caterers (which, consequentally, has been resolved and is no longer an issue). While, I know deep in my heart that Dominick was only concerned with the price of the caterers, that unhappy face still sticks in my mind when I think of Hall 2. 

Now, do not mistake me, it is a gorgeous hall. They just remodeled the place and put lots of money into it. But, it is almost too fancy for me. I am a plain person. Ornamented things make me feel awkward and uncomfortable. Also, there are no windows and the dance floor is practically a separate room. One cannot see the dancers from the oppostie ends of the main area of the hall. Now, my concerns are not a big deal or even legitimate, but I cannot help it. 

After many discussions with Mom and long, tedious bouts of contemplation, I have decided that I really do not mind where we have our reception. I have almost made up my mind that having atreception at Hall 2 is the wiser choice. However, because of other circumstancecs, which I will not detail here, my Mother does not wish to book Hall 2 until this Sunday at a bridal show. I am prone to stress easily and the fact that we cannot book Hall 2 is causing my stress-level to go up. I called Hall 2 a few weeks ago and they informed me that our date, October 24, is still open, BUT by the time we make a decision I am so afraid that the hall is going to be booked. And then I will suffer a long duration of regret and sadness. But do not fear, I know that God is going to take care of this day and no matter where we have it, Hall 1 or Hall 2, I know it will be a day that I will always look back on with fond memories.

This small tale has a word of wisdom for all future brides out there in blog-world: do not rush into making major decisions for wedding day. We booked Hall 1 on a whim. I liked the place and that was it. I did not take the time to seriously, calmly and rationally talk with my Mom about the pros and CONS . Becuase of that, my poor parents have put a down payment on a place we may not have our reception at. The feeling I am left with is guilt. I know my parents do not mind and all they want is to prepare a wedding day that will make everyone happy and comfortable, but it still bothers me. So, please, take the time to discuss major decisions with a couple people instead of making them on your own. 

I will report which hall has been definitely picked in the near future. In the mean time, do not worry yourselves with the decision I am facing (wink, wink). Hall 1 or Hall 2? Hall 1 or Hall 2? Excuse me as I go beat my head against a wall. 

1 comment:

Becca Joy said...

So, beautiful. You're always telling me to stop listening to my parents and make my own choices. Granted, your parents are paying, but I still think that you should be completely happy on your wedding day and it is SO obvious to me which hall you really want. I say go with it. Your mom will stress out no matter which hall you choose; don't let that be the deciding factor. Wish I were there to help you out. Grr.